The temple was founded by saint Wonhyo in 671 and is located in Sang-gye 4-dong at the foot of Soo-rak Mountain. The name became Hak-lim-sa because it was built on top of the lay of Hak-ji-po-ran which is the image of a crane (Hak in Korean) sitting on an egg. It was destroyed by fire in 1579 but the monk Mu-gong restored the place in1624 and it has undergone several renovations until now.
It is located right underneath the top of Soo-rak Mountain. The date of its foundation is unknown but it enshrines the statues of 16 of Buddha’s disciples from long time ago inside a natural cave, which is the present day Na-han-jun. This was once used as a shelter by Queen Myung-sung for one night as she escaped from military forces during the Im-o-gun war in 1882. When queen Myung-sung returned to the royal palace after the rebellion was suppressed and regained her power, she gave the imperial grant to the head priest of Young-gul temple and he built the present day Dae-woong temple with the money. From then Young-gul-am began to take shape of a temple and now it’s a Buddhist seminary where monks live together to promote Buddhism and cultivate devotion.
The temple was founded by saint Mu-gong during Joseon period under the second year of reign of king In-jo and is located at the west foot of Bul-am Mountain. The place is known for its graceful scenery and the name became Hak-do-am which means the place where cranes (Hak) come to play. It was restored by saint Byuk-woon in 15th Go-jong year (1878) but was destroyed during the Korean War. The present temple was re-established in 1965.
Tae·Gang-reung: historical relic number 201
At the lower edges of Bul-am Mountain (San 223-19 of Gong-reung-dong), there is Tae-reung athlete’s
village. With the athlete’s village in the middle, there is Tae-reung (San 225) on the west side and
Kang-reung (San 227) on the east side. Tae-reung is the royal tomb of queen Moon-Jung who was the wife of
king Joong-jong of the Joseon Dynasty.
Kang-reung is the royal tomb of Myung-jong who was the son of queen Moon-Jung and also the 13th king. It is also the royal tomb of queen In-soon who was the wife of king Myung-jong. With two combined, it’s called Tae-gang-reung. Queen Moon-Jung was the daughter of Yoon-Ji-im who was pa-san-bu-won-gun. She was born in 1501, became the third queen of Joong-jong at the age of 17 and had one son and four daughters including Myung-jong. When Myung-jong became king at the early age of 12, she administered state affairs from behind the veil. She passed away in 1565 and was laid to rest on July 15th the same year.
Myung-jong was born on May 22, 1534 and became king in1546 at the age of 12. He was too young when he ascended the throne so his mother, Queen Moon-jung, administered state affairs from behind the veil until he turned 20. He tried hard to rule wisely but passed away at the early age of 34 and was laid to rest here on September 22 of the same year. Queen In-soon, the wife of Myung-jong, was born as the daughter of Shim-gang, a Chung-reung-bu-won-goon, and became a queen along with Myung-jong’s accession to the throne in 1545 at the age of 15. She gave birth to Soon-hoi, the crown prince, and passed away at the age of 44.
(Seoul Tangible Cultural Property Number 16)
Sam-gun-bu (Three Military Authorities) was a government office that controlled military authorities during early Joseon-jo and is the abbreviation for Heung-sam-gun-bu. The name changed many times until the end of Joseon period. Sam-gun-bu was divided to middleㆍleftㆍright guns and was in control of military operations all throughout the country. It was the guard office of the palace and the patrol party of the capital city. This wooden building is the representative government offices built during the end of Joseon period of 1868 and is located inside Korean military academy. It was moved here during the new construction of the integrated government building in 1967.
(Seoul Tangible Cultural Property Number 27)
It was a filial monument established in front of the joint gave of deceased parents (father Lee Yun-tak
and mother Goryung Shin) by Lee-Moon-gun who was a literary man during Joseon Dynasty under the reign of
king Joong -jong for he was anxious that someone might vandalize the gravestone and the grave.
It is located in San 12 of Ha-gye-dong. It was the oldest gravestone with Hangeul written on it for the first time and is the only one in Korea. It contains the block book style from the distribution of Korean script, the archaic style of Korean, and the seal character style of Korean alphabet so it’s a very valuable cultural property as an academic resource for the study of the Korean language.
Epitaph: This grave stone is a holy stone. Whoever vandalizes the grave stone will face grave disaster. This is a notice for the illiterate.
(Seoul Tangible Cultural Property Number 43)
It is the Shin-do-bi of Lee Hun who was the son of king Sook-jong and as well as the Do-chong-gwan of
O-wi-do-chong-bu. It’s placed inside Korean military academy.
When king Sook-jong was ill, he devotedly took care of his father and died at the early age of 21. It was built to express his deep sorrow over the death of Lee Hun. The original location was inside Dae-bang elementary school yard, but the grave was moved to Duk Mountain, Ye-san-gun of Choong-nam and the gravestone was moved to the present location on August 3, 1967.
(Seoul Tangible Cultural Property Number 55)
It is the Shin-do-bi of Lee-Myung who was a clean-handed government official in Joseon Dynasty and was built in 1574. And it’s located in 766 of Wal-gye-dong. Lee Myung Is a civil minister during mid Joseon period and his letter was Yo-seo, title was Dong-go and family origin was Ye-an. He served as both right and left side minister and was selected as a clean-handed government official for his integrity by king Myung-jong. His posthumous title is Jung-gan and is also called「Jung-gan-yi-gong-shin-do-bi」.
(Seoul Tangible Cultural Property Number 27)
This is the portrait of Lee Sang-gil (1556~1637) a civil minister during the mid Joseon period. He is
enshrined at Choong-young-gak of Choong-sook-yi-gong-myo-yuk which is located in san 16-1 of Ha-gye-dong.
The letter of Lee-Sang-gil is Sa-woo, title is Dong-chun and the family origin is Byuk-jin. He took up
various government posts during In-jo period.
During the Manchu war of 1637, he went to Kang-hwa-do to support myo-sa by becoming young-wi-sa but when the Quing invaded Kang-hwa-do the next year, he hung himself. He was conferred posthumously as the left minister and a posthumous title of ‘Choong-sook-gong’ was given. This portrait is 82.7㎝ long and 180㎝ high. It portrayed a very stable image of him sitting down, placing his left hand over the right (as a gesture of respect) wearing pink dan-ryung clothes and low Samo hat.
(Seoul Tangible Cultural Property Number 70)
There is also Choong-sook-yi-gong-shin-do-bi (70 of tangible cultural properties) in Choong-sook-yi-gong-myo-yuk. The epitaph was written by Song-shi-yul and the writing was by Song-joon-gil.
(Seoul Tangible Cultural Property Number 124)
This is a 7m wide, 13.4m tall mountain. The statue is very realistically created and was made on top of 10
double lotus pedestals and it is sitting with its legs completely crossed as in Buddhist statues.
It was created by Queen Myung-sung and a specific proviso of the creation is the 50 words written on the side of the rock which are still visible and increase the value of the statue tremendously.
(Seoul Tangible Cultural Property Number 16)
This used to be the building with a floor space of 51 pyeong located in 66-7 Kyung-woon-dong, Chongrogu and it was moved to 766, Wal-ge-dong on 18th of March in 1994. It was the work of Park Gil Young who designed Hwa-shin Department Store. He built the porch in the Korean style house and installed a toilet and bathroom inside the building and connected them to the passage. This construction style depicts the state of the late 1930s reformed Korean-style house and shows the transition of history of Korean housing.
Boon-myo-goon of Joseon dynasty in Cho-an mountain
(Number 440 of historical relic)
It is a very important and valuable resource of Jang-myo culture of all throughout the Joseon Dynasty for the place holds numerous graves from different social classes such as the boundaries of eunuch graves and family graves. The graves of eunuch are large in number and the couple graves of Seung-guk-chul, the eunuch dated 1694, which provides basic resources to researching the life of the eunuch.
(Number 22 of intangible cultural properties of Seoul)
Ma-del Nongyo is the last remaining Nongyo of Seoul that farmers used to sing to forget about hardships and add to the amusement of farming. It consists of 10 songs and was almost forgotten during the massive construction of apartment complexes in Sang-ge area starting from 1985. It was Lee So-ra who was on the cultural property committee who restored them through recordings from elderly natives of the area. The pulse of Nongyo is being carried out by Kim Wan-su who’s the 32nd person to own it.
date of final modification : 2020-02-04 13:50:05